Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Even in the face of history - life goes on

So, I was up all last night watching Election returns. I was bawling when we reached that historic moment of electing our nations first African-American president, and held my children close when I realized that as they grow up, this will be a norm for them. The final step to end our societies openly hostile and discriminatory history. At least towards skin color. According to the latest numbers even Californians can't get past their need for discrimination against those with a different sexual orientation, but I really don't want to get into that right now - I just read the latest HRC email and I'm depressed by it - so I am instead going to rant about my day. Why? Because it's my blog and I'll rant if I want to :)

So, after rejoicing all night, I got up at 6:15 this morning and showered. I lotioned and potioned, dried my hair, did my makeup, got dressed and went out to make chocolate chip pancakes for the kids. Yes, I make chocolate chip pancakes on a school day - well, technically I make Whole Wheat Soy Carob chip pancakes - but whatever. I also packed The Princesses lunch of Turkey and Mustard on Whole Wheat, Carrot sticks and ranch, an apple and some chocolate graham crackers and Vanilla Yogurt. Then I woke The Princess and made her go take a shower so she could lotion and potion up and dry her hair, straighten it, and get ready for school while I folded the laundry from the dryer, moved the stuff from the washer to the dryer, and started another load. I woke up the Crazy Boy Child and the Diva and got them to eat, get dressed, did their hair, made them all brush their teeth, pack up the backpacks and get ready to leave. We actually got out of here on time at 8:10AM.

I dropped The Princess off at school since The Crazy Boy Child had an off wednesday, which we have every other week in our district. I took him and the Diva to the YMCA, where I dropped him off in the nursery and took her into the pool for swimming lessons. Then we got showered - again - changed and went off to stand in the pre-registration line to make sure she gets the same time for next session since it's the only time that class is offered that we can make it and she LOVES the pool. Then we went back to the Big School and had The Crazy Boy Child's first conference. It was great. He's doing great. I might have to change his name soon :) After the conference we went to the Princesses class and helped her teacher do small groups where they estimated and then found out the hight, weight, circumfrence and **number of seeds** in a pumpkin. Yes, that means that we had to open them up and let the kids count the number of seeds in the pumpkins. That was fun. Not. After school - noon since it's a half day - I brought the kids home and made them a quick lunch. We had 30 minutes to make it, eat it and get back in the car to go back to the YMCA so the older two could do their swimming and gymnastics lessons. I did another load of laundry during that time, too! Fun Fun Fun. I put the Diva in childcare this time so I could have an hour to work out. Lovely! After that the kids got changed and we went home to do homework, helped the Princess practice her dance for her competition on Sunday, made dinner, eat it, and clean the kitchen. This time we were home for 2 hours to accomplish all that. Then it was time to drive her to Cheer Practice and go in and chat with her coach for a minute about her practice time. Then it's home to vacuum, clean the kitchen, do another load of laundry and get the other two kids to settle down and get ready for bed time - which gives them about 2 hours of down time before it's time to do showers for them (the younger two shower at night), brush teeth, pick out clothes, read a story and get that last drink of water so that I can actually have some time with the husband before falling asleep.

Things I didn't do today that I was supposed to so will now have to wait for tomorrow: cleaning the bathrooms, organizing paperwork, cleaning out the car, paying past due bills.

Ugh.

Tomorrow is actually my **long** day, which means finding time to get all that stuff done on top of my **long** day stuff anyway.

I'm soooo done.

No comments: